1. The National Cheng Kung University Regulations for Student Leave of Absence, revised and approved by the Student Affairs Council in the first semester of the 2017-18 academic year on December 22, 2017 shall take effect from the beginning of the first semester of the 2018-19 academic year. These regulations are publicized on the webpage of the Student Assistance Division at http://www.cc.ncku.edu.tw/rule/content.php?sn=248 .
The Student Leave Application Online System is available at http://i.ncku.edu.tw/ .
2. Students must log into the Student Leave Application Online System to apply for leave according to relevant regulations. Written applications will not be processed except unforeseen contingencies beyond the control of the applicant.
3. Applications for leave of absence, except the application for sick leave, should be submitted for approval in advance of the leave. In case of severe illness, emergency, or unforeseen contingencies, students will be allowed to complete an application for leave on the Student Leave Application Online System within 5 days from the last day of the leave (holidays included).
3.為完善您個人的學習紀錄，請逕至 「數位學習歷程檔e-Portfolio >登錄校外學習紀錄」，網址 : http://eportfolio.ncku.edu.tw/index2/index.php 。
However, they are advised to go to the website of e-Portfolio at http://eportfolio.ncku.edu.tw/index2/index.php to update your record of learning activities.
5. The Student Leave Application Online System is established as a student leave application platform convenient to be operated by NCKU faculty members and students. Applicants must keep their instructors and the offices concerned of approval procedures to complete their applications within the designated deadline.
6. All NCKU members who log into the Student Leave Application Online System to process student leave applications are advised to read “Related Instructions” including Student Leave Application Flowchart, National Cheng Kung University Regulations for Student Leave of Absence, Instructions for Official Leave, and Instructions for non-official Leave, in order to facilitate their operation and secure the rights and interests of students.
II. Q&A (Students)
How do students submit a leave of absence application?
How do applicants select the type of leave on the system?
A: 1. Students must log into the Student Leave Application Online System to apply for a leave of absence.
2. Applicants select the type of leave under the link of Leave Application as follows (please read the Instructions for Leave Application):
(1) Non-official leave: including sick leave, personal leave, bereavement leave, maternity leave (including prenatal care, postnatal care, baby nurturing and paternity leave), menstrual leave, and leave for organ donation (bone marrow or organ), and leave from term examinations.
(2) Official leave: applications submitted according to the NCKU Regulations for Student Leave of Absence.
In terms of type of leave or duration of leave, are applicants required to submit a certificate or supporting document?
How do applicants submit a certificate or a supporting document?
1. Types of leave: Official leave, bereavement leave, maternity leave (including prenatal care, postnatal care, baby nurturing and paternity leave), menstrual leave, and leave for organ donation (bone marrow or organ)
2. Duration of leave: More than three days.
3. Applicants shall upload a certificate or supporting document as an attachment in the format of image or PDF before they click on “Submit” to complete submission of the leave application.
How do students submit a leave of absence application online?
1. Non-official leave: Please select “Type of Leave”, then fill out the designated columns, and click on “Submit” to complete submission of the application.
2. Official leave: Please select “Unit of Authority”, click on the designated approval authority (responsible instructors, department chair, institute or program director, responsible staffer or chief of the administrative unit, and click on Submit to complete submission of the leave application.
Are students allowed to keep track of their leave application approval status?
Are applicants allowed to delete/cancel the leave application?
1. Yes. They are allowed to check out the details of Approval Status under the link of Application Inquiry.
2. In the event of an incorrect application, applicants are allowed to delete/cancel it under the link of Application Inquiry as follows：Select Serial No. Delete/Cancel >Save>Confirmed (Completed)
If applicants fail to submit an application for approval in advance of the leave, or if applicants submit an overdue application, what should they do to complete the leave application?
1. Applicants are required to inform their instructors in advance by phone, by mail or by proxy. Should they fail to contact their instructors, they are required to report the leave to their advisors or department chair (director of the graduate institute or the program), as is stipulated in the second and third paragraphs of Article Three of the NCKU Regulations for Student Leave of Absence.
2. In case of (1) acute or sudden illness, (2)a short notice of obituary, and (3) emergency or unforeseen contingencies, applicants are allowed to complete an application for leave on the Student Leave Application Online System within 5 days from the last day of the leave.
3. Those who submit a written application after the designated deadline set in (2) should specify reasons for an overdue application, which shall be processed according to the rule of approval authority.
Ex.: Student A taking a leave for illness on August 25, 2018 should submit a leave application on the Student Leave Application Online System.
(1) Not overdue:
Student A submitted an online application on August 30 within the designated period from August 26 to August 30.
Student A submitted an online application on September 2 after the designated deadline of August 30. Student A must specify reasons for an overdue application.
If I have submitted an application on the Student Leave Application Online System, does it mean that I have completed my application? What should I do for a failed submission?
1. No. You have not completed your application.
2. Notes for a failed submission:
(1) The system indicates some columns required to be completed.
(2) The applicant fails to specify reasons for an overdue application.
(3) Applications may be rejected by instructors or unit chiefs, or automatically rejected by the unit for approval ratification or the system for reasons as follows:
A. Applications with inconsistent or unspecified reasons
B. Submission of certificates is required.
C. Reasons are inconsistent with the type of leave.
D. The application is disapproved by instructors or unit chiefs.
E. Upon submission, an application that fails to be approved within the following 20 days will be automatically rejected online.
★Applicants should keep their course instructors and the offices concerned informed of the approval procedures to avoid application rejection. In the event of a rejected application, applicants shall submit a new application online if they are required to do so.
How do applicants know why their applications have been rejected? In the event of a rejected application, can applicants submit a new application online?
1. Students applying for leave online must enter their email address. The system will inform the applicant of a rejected application by email.
2. Yes. Applicants are allowed to submit a new application online if they are required to do so.
Ex.: Student A submitted an application for a one-day personal leave from three courses scheduled on August 10, 2018. According to the regulations, a less-than-three-day leave application shall be approved by course instructors and the advisor.
(1) Application completed:
Procedures: an application submitted >instructors informed by the system of an application pending approval> the application approved by all instructors> the advisor informed of an application pending approval> the application approved by the advisor by August 30 >Student Assistance Division for verification> Student A informed by email of the application completed.
(2) Application rejected:
A. In the approval procedures> Course instructors or the advisor failed to approve the application by August 30. >The application was rejected by the system on August 31 while Student A was informed of the rejection by email. >The application has been invalid.
B. In the event of a rejected application, applicants are allowed to submit a new application online if they are required to do so.
If my application fails to pass through the stage of approval procedures online due to a replacement of the department chair (graduate institute or program director), or chief administrator of the responsible office, what should I do to complete the application?
1. Non-official leave:
(1) If the roster of course instructors is not finalized before the start of the semester or in the first week of classes, you should submit their applications from the second week.
(2) In the event of an overdue application under this condition, you should specify “The roster of course instructors is not finalized” as the reason in the designated form on the system.
(3) An applicant whose application fails to be processed through the stage of approval procedures online due to a replacement of the department chair(graduate institute or program director) shall contact the Student Assistance Division at (06)2757575#50340 to process an application.
2. Official leave:
You should cancel your application that fails to be processed through the stage of approval procedures online due to a replacement of the department chair (graduate institute or program director), or chief administrator of the responsible office before you are allowed to submit a new application.
In case of a leave application for extramural activities, do I need to complete registration for off-campus activities at the Military Training Division under the Office of Student Affairs?
1. Yes. Upon submission of your leave application for an extramural activity, please complete the National Cheng Kung University Registration Form for Extramural Activities at http://b3c008.web3.ncku.edu.tw/p/412-1055-5465.php?Lang=zh-tw, which shall be printed out and submitted to the Military Training Division.
2. In the event of a team/group activity, please inform your leader (captain or instructor) to complete and submit the form on behalf of all applicants.
If I fail to log into the leave application online system, can I submit a written application?
1. No. In principle, students should log into the system to apply for a leave of absence.
2. No written application will be processed except under special circumstances as follows:
(1) Courses without designated codes, (2) Courses offered for a summer session without designated codes, and (3) Failure to submit an online application due to unforeseen contingencies.
How is a leave from “term examinations” defined? When should a student apply for a leave from term examinations?
1. Definition: Term examinations refer to final examinations scheduled for the final week of the semester, as is stipulated in Subparagraph 3 of Article 18 under Chapter 7 of the NCKU Academic Regulations.
2. As Article 21 under Chapter 7 of the NCKU Academic Regulations states:
(1) In Paragraph 1: Students who cannot attend regular midterm/term examinations due to a major incident, and thus need to complete make-up examinations afterwards, shall apply for a leave of absence from regular examinations according to the NCKU Regulations for Student Leave of Absence. All examinations scheduled for the dates during the leave of absence shall be specifiedon the application form.
(2) In Paragraph 2: Those taking leave of absence from regular end-of-term examinations due to official duty, illness, pregnancy, care for their children aged below three or a spouse, or the funeral of a relative by the first or second degree of kinship,...
3. According to the rules stated above, students who fail to attend term examinations shall apply for a leave of absence on the Student Leave Application Online System.
III. Q&A (Instructors, Staffers of Administrative Units and Chief Administrators)
Will the parties concerned (course instructors, the advisor, department chair, institute or program director, administrative staffers, or chief administrators) be informed of a student leave application submitted online?
1. Yes. Students must complete the designated application form in terms of type of leave, duration of leave, courses and other related items.
2. The system will decide authority of approval based on the information and notify the parties concerned by email of an application pending approval.
If an instructor doubles as the advisor or department chair (institute or program director), what should the instructor do to approve a leave application? What are the approval procedures?
1. The instructor should select each position in order of approval authority under the link of Application Approval to complete approval procedures.
2. Approval procedures:
(1) Non-official leave:
A: Less than three days: The applicant selects coursesàThe system sends emails to inform course instructors and the advisor of an application pending approval
B: More than three days: The applicant selects coursesàThe system sends emails to inform course instructors, the advisor, and the department chair (institute or program director) of an application pending approval
(2) Official leave:
The applicant selects approval authority under the link of Unit of Authority àThe system sends emails to inform the department chair (institute or program director), or the responsible staffer or chief administrator of an application pending approval.
While we are allowed to select a single data row in the approval process, are there any other options available?
2. Besides selecting a single item, you are allowed to select all items or select no items to facilitate the approval process, as follows: Application Approvalà”Select All” or “Undo Select All”.
If I decide to disapprove a leave application in the approval process, what should I do?
You can select to disapprove an application as a single item and specify your reasons for the rejection. The applicant will be informed of the reasons.